Monday, January 26, 2009

#2: Tomato Beef Chow Mein



Tomato Beef Chow Mein

Sauce:
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 lb top sirloin, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp cornstarch
Vegetable oil
Rice cooking wine
Soy sauce

Note: As for the noodles, any brand of dried Chinese egg noodles will do. They usually come in large boxes at the Asian market, so buy a box and you can fry up as many batches as you like, it tastes great without sauce too.

1. Marinate the beef with a splash of cooking wine and soy sauce plus salt and pepper for at least 30 minutes.

2. Before you start cooking the sauce, start heating a large pot of water for the noodles.

3. Heat enough oil to cover a medium size skillet and brown the garlic. Then add the beef and stir fry until cooked. Next, add the tomatoes and peppers and mix well. Wait until the mix comes to a boil, then add the cornstarch and stir. Let simmer over low heat for another 5-10 minutes.

4. Boil the noodles (I usually put 2 or 3 handfuls of dried noodles in a large pot) and strain as soon as they are finished. Heat another pan with some oil, when it gets hot add the noodles and fry until the edges are crispy. Serve immediately with the sauce on top.


This is a recipe my mom would make for me quite often, I usually have all of the ingredients on hand except for the beef. The brand of Chinese noodles I buy if I can is called "Quon Yick Noodles" and is sold at Asian markets and even sometimes other stores like Smart & Final, but like I said earlier any kind of Chinese egg noodle will work just as fine.


I dug out the George Foreman grill and made another panini with it, it turned out excellent. I bought the pesto from Trader Joe's instead of making my own, theirs is my favorite jar pesto and it will definitely work in a pinch if you don't have the time to make your own.

2 comments:

  1. ILU, Cooking Master Taka. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ILU MORE, Supreme Master of Everything Kristel!

    ReplyDelete